First DCLI, The Bluff

 

First Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Cemetery, The Bluff

 

Spires of Ypres in the distance

 

 

 

76 Burials of which 13 are unidentified

 

 

 

The cemetery contains the graves of officers and men of the 1st DCLI, all of whom died in April to July 1915.

Graves were added after the war from the battlefield.

The Bluff is a narrow ridge and the Germans took the 14th (Light) Division trenches in February 1916. The 3rd Division retook it on 2 March and it remained in British hands until the spring of 1918. 

14th Division retook it on 28th September 1918.

CWGC Index     Home